Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sitting, Waiting, Wishing


I have no idea what to anticipate as I leave for Spain and that’s what makes it an adventure.  Though I have had family members live in Spain and have done my research, in my experience with traveling, things are never quite what you expect.  So, I am excited just to jump right in and be surprised—that way this experience will surpass my expectations no matter what happens.  

I do have to admit a large part of my excitement stems from nerves, and not all of them are good.  For instance, I haven’t taken Spanish for almost two years and even then it was only in high school.  What happens if my teachers were worthless and I know less than I think I do?  What if I have forgotten everything important and am reviewing all the wrong material?  What if I am so far behind that I can’t catch up and perpetually remain a stranded gringo in an alien country? 

Despite these little gut-squirming fears, I can’t wait to leave.  I can’t wait to meet my Spanish family and learn all their weird quirks.  I can’t wait to taste new foods and explore new languages and places.  And, strangely enough, I can’t wait to feel uncomfortable and push my limits every minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment